The Sword and Laser discussion

230 views
NaNoWrimo > Book Covers

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Caldwell | 141 comments Anybody do an art cover for their book?

I started this almost three weeks before I started writing. Whenever I'd hit a block, I'd work on the cover. Anyway, I just finished it and I really wanted to share it with you guys. If you have any cover art for your book, I'd really love to see it.




message 2: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Eavenson (DannyEaves) | 127 comments Dude...that is awesome. I wish my talents were as broad as yours. I've had a picture in mind for my cover but no way to really implement it without like paying someone some money.


message 3: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Caldwell | 141 comments Daniel wrote: "Dude...that is awesome. I wish my talents were as broad as yours. I've had a picture in mind for my cover but no way to really implement it without like paying someone some money."

Thanks man! I appreciate it! Now I just gotta finish the novel. lol.


message 4: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Half the battle is getting someone to notice your book in the first place. Nice job.


message 5: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Caldwell | 141 comments Bookshelf wrote: "Half the battle is getting someone to notice your book in the first place. Nice job."

Thanks!


message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 4913 comments A preliminary cover is about all I have.




message 7: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Caldwell | 141 comments Trike wrote: "A preliminary cover is about all I have.

"


Nice! Actually I remember this cover from another Nanowrimo thread.


message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 7 comments Wow, both of you guys are talented...I am not even attempting a book cover yet...


message 9: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Caldwell | 141 comments Lisa wrote: "Wow, both of you guys are talented...I am not even attempting a book cover yet..."

Thanks Lisa.


message 10: by Wade (new)


message 11: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 3 comments There's a lot of people offering to make covers and sketches, I'm having a lot of trouble on the volunteers following through. Is it more common to pay for covers and sketches than fishing for volunteers? First timer on nanowrimo so feel free to hold my hand a bit.


message 12: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Caldwell | 141 comments I remember seeing this guy's video on art commissions. Basically it's like a priority triangle with Cost, Time, and Quality. And - as with all priority triangles - you only get to pick two. So if you wanted high quality and a low cost, it's going to take a long time because the artist is prioritizing with those that pay. Especially those that pay well and want the work in a timely manner.

So it would be hard to find volunteers that will follow through. Not impossible mind you, just hard to find people that would do so. And probably near impossible if they were professional.

What exactly are you looking for? Do you want a photo-manipulated cover, something stylized (or even cartoonish?) or something like a hyper-realistic painting?


message 13: by David (new)

David | 67 comments Joseph wrote: "There's a lot of people offering to make covers and sketches, I'm having a lot of trouble on the volunteers following through. Is it more common to pay for covers and sketches than fishing for volu..."

I haven't gotten a cover going yet, but I was thinking about looking around fiverr.com to see if there was someone there who looked like they could do a decent job. I've had mixed success there, but mostly positive; when the product isn't good, at least you didn't pay much.


message 14: by Lindsay (last edited Jan 28, 2016 04:57AM) (new)

Lindsay Anderson | 6 comments description

This is my cover on the Kindle edition. Working on a paper book where the title is more of an original font. :D


message 15: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Caldwell | 141 comments Lindsay wrote: "

This is my cover on the Kindle edition. Working on a paper book where the title is more of an original font. :D"


Wow! Very nice cover!


back to top